What better place to spend Halloween than New York City? and what better place to celebrate than onstage at LPR (le poisson rouge), an icon of NYC nightlife and urban culture. Benjamin Ickies and his Ambitious Orchestra brought “Life is a Cabaret” to life with a dance troupe (Brooklyn’s “Lady Circus”), contortionist, sword-swallower and a large, celebratory audience (who looked fabulous in their costumes, btw). There was something for everyone. The music both revered and mocked the cult-classic “Cabaret.” Honestly, I had never seen the movie until Halloween eve and since then I’ve developed a whole new appreciation for Liza Minnelli- that woman’s got an insane energy about her.
Lisa D. and myself sang “Money” and, as per usual, we had a blast (see video at bottom of blog).
Lady Circus danced their you-know-whats off, choreagraphed by the talented Kathryne Van Assche. These ladies are phenomenal. They perform aerial art, ballet, modern dance, cabaret… skilled body movement. They can be found hanging from the ceiling, dancing at the “House of Yes” in Brooklyn, right off the L train at Grand St. I had the pleasure of rehearsing with them prior to the show. These ladies work hard and dance beautifully.
The evening was part of Oh! You Pretty Things, created and promoted by the legendary Michael T, Shien Lee, Twig the Wonderkid and Benjamin Ickies. Quite the host family. Featured performers included: The Bindlestiff Family Cirkus, Lady Rizo, Isengart, Koko Aviance, Lee Chappell & Matteo, Kae Burke, Pepper Somerset, Lisa D. & Jacquelyn Adams.
NickyDigital.com captured these moments…hundreds of pictures are available at NickyDigital.com.
WATCH VIDEO. Hit RELOAD if all you see is a giant black space.
- Do it tonight: It’s a Hard Knox Life! Musical Cabaret (thekenyonthrill.wordpress.com)
- France honors US entertainer Liza Minnelli (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Lizas show worked, even when her voice didnt (theglobeandmail.com)
- This Is Why I Love NYC (citysubwaycreatures.com)
- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly – 20 Amazing Celebrity Halloween Costume Snaps! (fabsugar.com)
- 60 Photos of Halloween Debauchery in NYC [Photos] (collegecandy.com)
- HALLOWEEN in NYC!! Parade & costume photos – New York City, NY (travelpod.com)
- Sexy Girls of Halloween NYC 2011 [51 PHOTOS] (coedmagazine.com)
- Halloween Face Painting – Halloween Night: NYC Parks and Recreation (thestorybehindthefaces.com)
- Come to the Cabaret: A darker diversion (independent.co.uk)